Saturday, May 5, 2012

Health Club Marketing - Are You on Autopilot? You've Got It All Wrong

Even in the advertising, this industry is notorious for running a reflection of these misguided assumptions. The fact of the matter is, we push these cookie cutter images of "fit people" as if everyone who comes to us has the same ideal look, or physique.

The challenge is, there are a lot of people on autopilot. Even if we do a half hearted job of asking the prospects what their goals are, I'd imagine most of them can sense the insincerity, and give us vanilla, autopilot answers that merely echo what we hear from anyone else we ask. I actually think its because they know what we want to hear, because they sense that we might be on autopilot too.

I learned a long time ago, while running a Women's Only facility, that the real reason my members joined was never as simple as "I want to drop a few pounds", or "I just want to feel better". Had I let these basic answers fly, then it may have been the only responses I ever received, which begs the question why even go through the motions, if we already know the answer? However, once I learned to ask more probing questions, and more importantly, display the fact that I truly cared (autopilot, off) what my guests wanted to accomplish, and the real reasons why they came to the club, a whole new revelation became apparent. People will share with us, their true "very personal" reasons for wanting to exercise.

It doesn't take very long to dig beneath the surface and find that people's motivations are firmly rooted in psychological reasons, and not physical outcomes. People want to feel different about themselves, or have others feel a certain way. A woman may say she wants to lose weight but really she wants to be more attractive to others, because of the confidence it can provide. They may want to get in shape for a wedding, because they are starting their lives with someone and want their mates to be excited about the future, and strengthen the bond. Athletes want the increased performance because people in their lives count on them, to win the big game. They are pushed to perform better because they want to make mom and dad proud, and they can imagine themselves basking in the glory of the winning touchdown, or stolen base that seals the game. Heck, it may even be related to getting into college, on a scholarship, so they can go to an expensive school.

The most effective sales people will always be able to dig below the obvious, and continue to flush out their prospects true emotional reason for the goals they have. What is important is going beyond the obvious, and sharing with them how you can help them satisfy the emotional needs they have. When someone says "I want to drop a few pounds", it is our job to ask why they want to lose the weight. How will that make them feel? How will this weight lose improve their life? Where do they see themselves, once they have accomplished this weight loss goal?

Some fit pros are uncomfortable with the probing nature of these questions, but if you are serious about helping your clients achieve results, then you need to understand why they want to achieve certain things. This not only helps you sell the program on the benefits, it will also provide the solution to their problems. It is probably more important to motivate them, to continue to push, when working towards their goals.

Don't just glance over your questions, or assume everyone has the same set of goals. Think of why you do what you do. Is it as simple as earning a paycheck? No? So what is it? When you figure this out because I asked, then I bet you will be more motivated to do good work.

Do you own a health club and like what I have to say? Join me in my efforts to change the landscape of the health club industry with unique health club marketing strategies, membership sales techniques, steps for opening a gym, tips to retain your existing members, and much more. We're in the office Monday - Friday, until 8pm EST, and can be reached directly at 904.807.5950. I am your trusted friend and partner as you strive to operate a more successful health club business. I look forward to the opportunity to serve you and all of your fitness business needs.

Curtis Mock

2 comments:

  1. 6 months ago I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came acrose Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receieve my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following deseases..Copd,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Asthma.
    Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breathe much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete